Exemplars authentic, problem-solving tasks are rich supplements for use in Title I programs, Gifted and Talented programs and in the traditional classroom.
Material can also be used for intervention and with after school tutoring programs.
Rubrics and anchor papers (hallmarks of Exemplars) assist teachers in identifying students' specific strengths and areas to be improved in the problem-solving process. Doing so, enables teachers to help students reach higher levels of thinking and gain greater mathematical understanding.
Tasks emphasize NCTM process standards and may be used to assess student performance, to enhance instruction or as portfolio pieces. In addition, teachers may use Exemplars standards-based tasks:
- To challenge Gifted and Talented students
- To engage Title I students and closely evaluate mathematical understanding
- To enhance other disciplinary areas
- To help students become strong self- and peer-assessors
- As a problem of the week or for homework
- For early finishers
- To share with parents at conferences