Success For The Early Years
Exemplars offers both classroom material and professional learning sessions for grades Pre K-K that promise to interest and challenge young minds!
Pre K-K Math
Exemplars Pre K-K Math provides teachers, parents and caregivers with 20 creative tasks to capitalize on this wonderful time of learning and curiosity.
This pubication includes a collection of differentiated tasks that provide primary students with the opportunity for creative mathematical exploration – using counting, patterning, manipulatives and shapes.
- An extensive introduction for getting started
- A collection of authentic, differentiated problem-solving tasks with a more accessible and more challenging version
- Rich, teaching notes to guide assessment and instruction
- Standards-based scoring rubrics
- Anchor papers and scoring rationales to accompany each task
- Classroom-tested material
- Alignments to NCTM, state standards as well as the Everyday Math series
- A digital library of tasks to accompany the hard copy
Professional Learning Sessions, Pre K-2
To support your staff in teaching and assessing this group of learners, Exemplars has developed two unique professional learning sessions for Pre K-2.
Numbers Are Primary: Teaching Number Sense and Place Value to Young Children
At this workshop, participants will learn firsthand how to implement new approaches in the classroom and will leave feeling confident and eager to engage students with innovative learning techniques that explore conservation of number, subitization, part/whole relationships, compensation, counting on and counting back.
The Broad Agenda:
- Explore conservation of number, subitization, part/whole relationships, compensation, counting on and counting back
- Help your students understand the power of number sense and place value development
- Use the concept of ten
- Engage in hands-on activities, manipulatives and applicable math games
- Create and take home classroom resources to use with your students
Problem Solving in the Primary Grades:
The ABCs of Standards-Based Assessment and Instruction
This workshop provides participants with an understanding of the fundamentals of problem solving. Individuals will engage in a hands-on examination of problem solving and assessment, classroom practices, rubrics and anchor papers.
The Broad Agenda:
- Define the vocabulary of problem solving, standards and assessment
- Gain an understanding of the Exemplars math assessment rubric
- Assess student work using the Exemplars rubric
- Link assessment results to instruction that will improve student performance
- Differentiate problems to provide appropriate opportunities for all students
- Use Exemplars rubrics to promote peer- and self-assessment