Problem Solving for the 21st Century, K-5
New! This online resource offers educators a powerful collection of planning, instruction, and assessment tools that help students learn to think critically, solve problems creatively, communicate, collaborate, and succeed. Material is based on 21st century math concepts and skills, organized by rich Units of Study.
K–5 material features:
- 350+ engaging open-ended math tasks.
- Rich problem-solving supplements organized by Units of Study
- Preliminary Planning Sheets for teachers outlining the math concepts and skills students will need to know as well as alternative strategies for solving each task. This tool assists with lesson preparation and assessing student work.
- Differentiated problems at 3 entry points for instruction, exploration, and formative assessment, allowing easy integration in mixed-ability classrooms
- The Exemplars Standards-Based Math Rubric, developed in accordance with NCTM Process Standards, defining key criteria for assessing student performance and providing meaningful feedback.
- A student rubric that encourages self- and peer-assessment.
- Anchor papers showing sample student work at the four performance levels of the Exemplars rubric on summative assessment tasks. Used alongside the Exemplars rubric, this resource supports teachers’ assessment practices and gives students insight into what kind of work meets and does not meet the standard.
- Scoring rationales for anchor papers describing why each piece of student work is assessed at a specific performance level for each of the Exemplars rubric criterion.
Ordering code(s): PS21K2, PS2135 or PS21K5