K–5 Math Institute, Level 2
Assessing Student Performance Against the Common Core Standards
This K–5 mathematics session is designed for participants that have a basic understanding of performance-based assessment and instruction as well as the Exemplars assessment rubric. Typically, participants will have completed the Exemplars Level 1 training and have some experience doing problem solving and formative assessment in their classrooms.
In this K–5 session, participants will:
- Review the Exemplars rubric and Preliminary Planning Sheets to address specific questions and correct misunderstandings in order to improve scoring validity and reliability.
- Assess student work samples aligned to the Common Core Content Standards and the Mathematical Practices.
- Analyze assessment data from the sample tasks to inform instruction.
- Use student errors in mathematical reasoning and proof as a teaching tool.
- Share strategies to help student's develop formal mathematical communication.
- Learn how to integrate mathematical representations into problem solving.
- Utilize critical-thinking and inquiry to promote mathematical connections.
- Develop strategies for moving students from the Apprentice performance level to the Practitioner performance level.