Problem Solving, K-5
Problem Solving for the Georgia Standards of Excellence, K–5: Performance Tasks, Rubrics and Anchor Papers
- Cost: $225
- Date: June 8th
- Time: 8:00 to 3:30
- Presenter: Deb Armitage, M.Ed.
- Location: Forsyth County Schools, 1120 Dahlonega Hwy., Cumming, GA
Through the lens of problem solving, learn how to measure K–5 student performance against the Common Core and the Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE). Discover strategies for promoting mathematical communication, reasoning and higher-order thinking as well as how to improve teaching and learning opportunities for K–5 students.
This session focuses on:
- Instruction and assessment tools to promote student achievement in mathematics.
- The underlying concepts and processes behind this teaching/learning approach.
- The essentials of performance-based assessment and instruction to support the CCSS for Mathematical Content and Mathematical Practice as well as the GSE.
Exemplars K–5 math tasks, rubrics and anchor papers are incorporated throughout the workshop. The vocabulary for problem solving is defined and problem-solving strategies are explored. Mathematical communication and application of mathematical concepts across math strands will be shown. Discussion topics also include: differentiating instruction, student involvement and student's ability to assess his/her own work to improve performance.
Click to view the broad agenda.