Summer Institute Sessions
Problem Solving for the Common Core: Performance Tasks, Rubrics and Anchor Papers, K–2
- Date: May 24th
- Time: 8:30 to 4:00
- Presenter: Deb Armitage, M.Ed.
- Location: ACES/PDSI, 205 Skiff Street, Hamden, CT
Through the lens of problem solving, gain a firm understanding of methods to support and guide the transition to the Common Core. This session focuses on:
- The appropriate instructional shifts and tools necessary to effectively implement the CCSS.
- The underlying concepts and processes behind this teaching/learning approach.
- The essentials of performance-based assessment and instruction to support the CCSS for Mathematical Content and Mathematical Practice.
Exemplars math tasks, rubrics and anchor papers are incorporated throughout the workshop. The vocabulary for problem solving is defined and problem-solving strategies are explored. Mathematical communication and application of mathematical concepts across math strands will be shown. Discussion topics also include: differentiating instruction, encouraging student involvement and developing self-assessment practices to improve student performance.
Click to view the broad agenda.