Classroom Modeling: Observing Math Exemplars in the Classroom
The Classroom Modeling session demonstrates the problem-solving, assessment and communication process across all levels.
This professional opportunity was developed in response to numerous requests for Exemplars trainers to exercise Exemplars tasks in participants' classrooms.
Components can include:
- A working portfolio lesson that addresses the request of the classroom teacher(s). The lesson may focus on a particular content area, strategy, mathematical language or multistep problem.
- Questioning students about their thinking in order to generate connections and to communicate student reasoning both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrating differentiated instruction
- Guiding students toward self-assessment
- Building student confidence and interest in problem solving and communication
- Utilizing Exemplars problems for introducing content representations, mathematical language and connections and to encourage mathematical discussion