Developing Leadership Capacity
This workshop is designed to give math teams, coaches and mentors the tools they need to support their colleagues in implementing standards-based assessment and instruction to support the the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Content and Mathematical Practice effectively in their schools.
In this session, participants will:
- Learn what to look for in a standards-based mathematics classroom
- Review Exemplars assessment rubric
- Assess student work to build reliability and validity with Exemplars assessment rubric
- Assess student work at the individual/class/grade/school/district level to determine:
- What do we know our students know?
- How well are our students performing?
- Why are our students performing this way?
- What do our students need to relearn, practice?
- What do we learn about our teaching?
- What are our next steps for these students?
- Discuss possible actions for supporting peers
- Use samples of student work to share strategies (questioning, connections, representation, mathematical language, etc.) necessary to raise students to the Practitioner level (meeting the standard) and beyond:
- Begin/Develop an assessment system that supports CCSSM
- Select performance tasks for working portfolios
- Select performance tasks for assessment portfolios
- Select grade-level/school/district anchor papers
- Discuss calibration/scoring sessions