Standards-Based Classroom Modeling:
Problem Solving and Formative Assessment for the Math TEKS
The Classroom Modeling session demonstrates the problem-solving, assessment and communication process across all levels to support the TEKS for Mathematical Processes and Mathematical Content.
Components for this workshop can include:
- A working portfolio lesson that addresses the request of the classroom teacher(s). The lesson may focus on a particular mathematical content area, standard, strategy, multi-step problem and/or using mathematical language;
- Questioning students about their thinking in order to generate mathematical connections, communication and reasoning, both verbally and in writing;
- Demonstrating personalized instruction;
- Introducing instructional techniques that promote students' understanding and use of the Mathematical Process Standards as well as students' higher-order thinking, reasoning and communication skills;
- Building student confidence and interest in mathematical problem solving and communication; and/or
- Utilizing Exemplars open-ended problems to introduce mathematical content, representations, language and connections, and to encourage mathematical discussion.