Developing Leadership Capacity in Science
This workshop is designed to give science teams, coaches and mentors the tools they need to support their colleagues in implementing Exemplars effectively in their schools.
The Broad Agenda
- Learn what to look for in an Exemplars classroom
- Review of the Exemplars science assessment rubric
- Assess student work to build reliability and validity with the assessment rubric
- Assess student work at the individual/class/grade school/district level to determine:
- What do we know our students know?
- How well are our students performing?
- Why are our students performing this way?
- What do our students need to relearn, practice?
- What do we learn about our teaching?
- What are our next steps for these students?
- Discuss possible actions for supporting peers
- Use Apprentice-level samples of student work to share strategies (questioning, connections, representation, mathematical language, etc.) necessary to raise students to the Practitioner level (meeting the standard) and beyond
- Begin/develop an assessment system
- Select performance tasks for working portfolios
- Select performance tasks for assessment portfolios
- Select grade-level/school/district anchor papers
- Discuss calibration/scoring sessions